where the cheese went

Monday, January 3, 2011

Tomorrow! Skiing!

Gust-O Metre reading: Above average but below outrageous.
I think I could try skiing.

During my stay here with Jae Yong and In Sung, whom are both snowboarding fanatics, I’ve quite taken to the idea of visiting the slopes; or at least, try out something that is a component in the Winter Olympics. No regrets, right?
I’ve decided to go with skiing instead of snowboarding. I know that this disappoints my very hospitable hosts. However, I do feel a lot more insured with having each of my foot on a ski, allowing my feet to move more freely compared to having them stuck together on a piece of miniature surfing board. Furthermore, I will have 2 sticks, 1 for each hand, to grab onto for balance. I'm very sorry guys...

Jae Yong has most kindly borrowed ski-gears from her co-worker, Achiko, whom is about the same height and size as me so that I wouldn't have to die from hypothermia. In Sung, on the other hand, has borrowed a Marmot pass from one of his friends which could get me admitted into the ski resort at a discounted rate. Schweet! I’m truly grateful to them all and am very glad that I came. Since Jae Yong has a day off work tomorrow, we’ll take advantage of it and will be be hitting the slopes first thing in the morning. Wish me luck!


On a different note, a good deal of today was spent on stalking deers and magpies. It started with me bumping into a doe on the street. I couldn't resist and started to photograph her frantically. At first, she was creeped out by my paparazzi pursuit - a crazy stranger with a camera in “my” face! How scandalistic and shameless!
After tailing her for about a block, she came closer, sniffed me out and left me be once she gathered that I have no food to offer. My existence depreciated from potential predator to squirrel. Eventually, my stalking paid off as she led me to 2 of her deer-buddies napping in some dude's a yard. Nearby where the deers were was a dumpster heavily guarded by magpies fending their territory from a raven, a bird that looks identical to a crow only twice as large. The magpies won the staring gala and celebrated with scrounging through plastic bags of trash and leftovers. Imagine an uber large meat bun with black wings and a slate thin tail, you won’t believe how plump these birds are and how they manage to take flight!

0 comments:

Post a Comment